Dear Members, this is the ninth issue of my “Blog”.
I had a very active start working for our organization right after the summer break, which I would like to share with you, I hope you enjoy reading my blog.
I have spent quite some time in Canada this September attending our Canadian National Accounting Group (NAG) BHD’s annual conference, visiting our Canadian members and attending an international legal association’s international conference to improve our relationships between the organizations. Our annual Canadian conference was organized in the Canadian Pacific Banff Springs Hotel. While staying in the hotel I encountered the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR or CP) story, which I found as one of the greatest stories in the world. Everyone that knows me closely knows that trains are my favourite way of travel and I always admire and respect how the railroads, train stations and trains are built to connect people through transportation. Therefore, I would like to share this great story with you, since I’ve likened this to our own story of building our global business association of IAPA.
For more than fifty years, Canadian Pacific’s transportation network encircled the globe, and its still-thriving railroads and hotels straddled North America for more than a century. This story is inextricably linked with the history of Canada itself. In 1886, the company completed the construction of two thousand miles of railway track, creating Canada’s first transcontinental railway system and linked the Atlantic to the Pacific. It then established fleets of vessels on both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, laying the foundation for a transportation route that allowed subjects of the British Empire to travel around the world. To enhance the travel experience, the company also constructed great castle-like hotels, including the Algonquin in St. Andrews, the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, and the Banff Springs Hotel in the Rockies, which themselves became landmarks, and where we had a privilege of hosting the 2019 Canadian Conference.
As noted by historian Barry Lane: “Canadian Pacific’s travel empire was unique. No other transportation system in the world history would succeed in running such a complete, interlocking system, with a large fleet of first-class vessels operating across two different oceans at the same time, linked by fast continental trains of the highest quality. The scope of the system was breath-taking.” If you are interested to learn more, you can find the CP story in the following short movies:
Upcoming IAPA Events in 2019:
- IAPA UK200Group National Conference, Liverpool, 13-15 November 2019
- IAPA International Conference, Singapore, 21-24 November 2019
What is NEW!
NEW! International Conference Pre-Conference event on Wednesday 20 November 2019.
- We have added a pre-conference event to our flagship international conference
- Hosting firm, Helmi Talib Group would like to invite you to join a pre-conference event on Wednesday 20 November 2019
- Helmi Talib Group and Fiduciary Asia Group have kindly extended an invitation for all delegates of the IAPA International Conference to attend an afternoon and evening visiting their offices in Singapore for a tour and refreshments, followed by dinner and networking, at no cost
- It would be great if you could join us by registering by clicking here, where I will be there too!
NEW! International 40th Anniversary Conference in Singapore Registration
We have reached over 80 people that have so far registered for our Singapore Conference! So, registrations are continuing with great success. Thank you for that! But as you know our target is 100 people, so please make sure you can join us there
- Please ensure you secure your registration by EOB Friday 8, November, when the registration will close. Therefore, you have one month to organise the conference registration and your travel arrangements. Please don’t be late for registering to attend this great event!
The Conference program is amazing; therefore, we look forward to welcoming the members of IAPA and hope you will enjoy the conference! Register here>>
NEW! IAPA International is a finalist!
We are pleased to announce that IAPA International is a finalist in the following three categories, at The International Accounting Bulletin’s, Digital Accountancy Awards 2019 (incorporating The Accountant & International Accounting Bulletin Awards):
- Sustainability Champion of the Year
- Rising Star Association of the Year
- Association of the Year
This is a clear recognition of what we have accomplished in the last year. I would like to thank all our members and partners who have been on this long journey with us. Thank you all!
NEW! IAPA International has been awarded as the “Sustainability Champion of the Year”!
The Digital Accountancy Awards 2019, was held on Thursday 3 October 2019 at the iconic Waldorf Hilton Hotel, aimed at UK, European and Global accounting firm leaders, bringing together C-level professionals from accounting firms, regulators and industry bodies, consultancies and advisors, law firms and tech vendors
- We are delighted to announce that IAPA International has been awarded Sustainability Champion of the year at The International Accounting Bulletin’s, Digital Accountancy Awards 2019
- The Sustainability Champion accolade recognizes those that demonstrate commitment to sustainability in the financial and accounting sectors by seeking to lead change and transforming into a smarter, more effective and sustainable organization
- As you know, IAPA has seen considerable growth over the past year, and we are developing and delivering innovative solutions, tools and services to our members, whilst encouraging and supporting to help develop long-term strategies towards a more sustainable economy. I am so happy that this achievement has been recognized by International Accounting Bulletin.
- Through this blog, I would like to thank our Global Chairman Martin Clapson, the International Board and members for believing and supporting me in this long journey.
- Well Done IAPA! You have well deserved this recognition!
NEW! Important Appointment of IAPA International Danish Member Jesper Præst Olsen
- IAPA International Danish Member Jesper Præst Olsen appointed by the Danish Accounting Advisory Board
- The Danish auditor association FDR was given the opportunity to appoint a new member of the Danish Accounting Advisory Board. They appointed Jesper Præst Olsen, Partner of GoAudit Denmark. Jesper’s function is to provide advice to the Danish Business Authority and the Danish Government in relation to changes in the Danish General Accounting Principle
- We are proud as an IAPA member to be able to service the Danish association FDR in their wishes to provide input to the Danish Government where possible changes in accounting law must be decided
- Well done Jesper!
NEW! A new focus at IAPA International - International Accounting Bulletin (IAB)
- My interview with IAB Editor Robin Amlot has been published in the September issue of IAB, please see link below, I hope you enjoy reading it: https://www.iapa.net/media/2560/internationalaccountingbulletin_sep19_odinterview.pdf
More member benefits: Free IAPA Webinars! Please find the September, October, November and December Agenda below:
- Cost Segregation, 23 October, Craig Tobin, Tobin & Associates (Rescheduled, since 11 September planned webinar was postponed due to hurricane in the USA)
- Mitigating Cyber & Information Security risks, 6 November, Scott Green, Think Marble
- Creating a Marketing Culture at your firm, 4 December, Lisa Tierney, Tierney Coaching and Consulting
BHD Canadian Conference:
- Attended our annual BHD Canadian Conference between 4-8 September 2019
International Board Meeting:
- Attended our monthly International Board Meeting conference call on 12 September 2019
- Thank you very much for all the international board members for their contributions and support
Le 74e Congrès de l’Ordre des Experts-Comptables:
- Attended 74th Accountancy Congress in Paris between 24-26 September
- Wow! What an event! I am really impressed by the French market size and dynamism
- 6,859 officially announced delegate numbers over 16 francophone countries of representation, 223 partners in the exhibition hall and 80 speakers
- I have been able to contact several African country delegates for potential IAPA membership and potential exhibitors for strategic partnership
- I would like to thank our French members for supporting me in this event
IAPA UK200Group FIFO:
- Co-led with UK200Group CEO Declan Swan, our first joint event with UK200Group in Manchester, U.K. held on 27 September 2019
- It was a pleasure to see many IAPA and UK200Group members at the Facilitating International Business Conference in Manchester last week
- A huge thank you to those that travelled from further afield, it is a long trip and greatly appreciated by us all
- The conference, attended by 32 delegates from 14 countries, was a valuable platform to understand the complexities of international business and how to overcome them, network and share best practice with other IAPA members from across the globe and hear from industry experts
- Special thanks for our presenters:
- Daniel Morris, Morris + D'Angelo, Senior Partner, USA
- Ann Bibby, Ellacotts, Chartered Tax Adviser, UK
- Debra Dougal, Haslers, VAT Partner, UK
- Tayfun Ugur, TU Tech Consultancy, Company Builder, Turkey
The Digital Accountancy Awards 2019
- Attended and represented IAPA in The Digital Accountancy Awards 2019, held on Thursday 3 October 2019 at the iconic Waldorf Hilton Hotel, London, U.K.
- It was a great day and evening, where we have returned with the Sustainability Champion of the Year award!
To demonstrate the idea of togetherness in the world, I will keep visiting our members, their countries, cities and offices.
- Current Member Visits in September 2019:
- D&H Group LLP, Vancouver, Canada
- Buchanan Barry LLP, Calgary, Canada
- Y&A LLP, Edmonton, Canada
- Thomson Jaspar & Associates, Saskatoon, Canada
- Zwick & Banyai PLLC, Detroit, USA
- Choquette Corriveau, Quebec City, Canada
- Thank you to all for your great hospitality and discussion time for our organization
Whilst closing this month’s blog, I would like to be inspired by the saying in the first linked CP video in the entry and convert it into IAPA: “We are not just accountants, auditors, advisors and lawyers. We are a network of possibilities made real by more than 195 members (as of now!) around the world”.